DeLaSalle student athletes will compete to be among the best in Minnesota in their respective winter sports. Please join us in congratulating and cheering on these athletes to victory!
DeLaSalle boys’ swimmers, like the girls in the fall, participate in a co-op program with St. Agnes and St. Anthony Village, headquartered at the St. Anthony village pool. They are called the St. Anthony Swim Team, the team has only lost one regular season meet this year.
- Diving Finals: Wednesday, March 10, 6:00pm, Fridley Middle School
- The St. Anthony Swim Team had 4 divers finish in the top 10 at sections! We took home 1st, 5th, 6th, and 7th!
- Andy Groebner (St. Anthony) took 1st and is headed to the state meet. Luca Raimondi (DeLaSalle) took 5th, Erick Brunsvold (DeLaSalle) took 6th, and Charlie Trombley (St. Anthony) took 7th!
- Swimming Finals– Saturday, March 13, 10:00am, at Fridley Middle School
- The St. Anthony Swim Team took second at the section 4A meet! Three of the relays have qualified for the state meet: 200 Medley (Koichiro Nozawa, James McCarthy, Noah Herlofsky, and Liam Neary), 200 free (Grant Ravndal, Koichiro Nozawa, Dominic Adkins, and Sam Benson), and 400 free (James McCarthy, Grant Ravndal, Sam Benson, Liam Neary). We also have two individual swimmers headed to state: James McCarthy (200 IM and 100 free) and Liam Neary (50 free and 100 free – which set a new Fridley Pool Record)!
- Two Islanders stood out in the MSHSL Class A state boys’ swimming tournament. Congratulations to James McCarthy ‘23 who took second in the 200-meter individual medley and eighth in the 100-meter butterfly. Liam Neary ‘22 finished fourth in the 100-meter freestyle and sixth in the 50-meter freestyle. Both swim for the co-op program with St. Anthony Village and St. Agnes – and also swam legs on two relay teams that qualified for state, with the 400-meter freestyle relay finishing 13th.
The Islanders are ranked 17th in the state (Class AAA) and 4th in Section 4AAA. The Islanders finished the regular season with a 11-6 overall record.
- Quarterfinals: Fridley 66 – DeLaSalle 33
This is the 10th consecutive year that DeLaSalle has qualified for the MSHSL Boys’ State Tournament — a new record for most consecutive years as a Section champion and qualifying for the tournament for any school. As you may know, De won its first of six consecutive state championships (also a state record) when the streak started in 2012, finished third in 2018, won another state title in 2019, then did win the section title and qualified for the tournament in 2020 before it was COVID-canceled, and now has won its tenth consecutive section title in 2021.
- Quarterfinals: Wednesday, March 17 (Bye)
- Semifinals: #2 DeLaSalle 72 – #3 Waconia 46
- Final: #2 DeLaSalle 59 – #1 Mound Westonka 50
- Quarterfinals: #2 DeLaSalle 92 – #3 Hibbing 72
- Semifinals: Minnehaha Academy 79 – DeLaSalle 58
Four Islanders competed in wrestling sections. Congratulations to Finn Rater ‘21 and Mateo Pena Jones ‘22 who advanced to compete in the preliminary round of the state tournament. This is the third year that DeLaSalle has partnered with Columbia Heights for the co-op wrestling program.
De continues to participate in a multi-school co-op program called United consisting of girls from Minnehaha Academy, DeLaSalle, Providence Academy, St. Paul Academy, and St. Agnes, headquartered at the Minnehaha Academy ice arena. The team finished the regular season with a 10-8 record and earned the sixth seed in the section.
At the section quarterfinal on March 16, the United team lost to #3 seed Wayzata, 13-0.