Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Father, You prepared the Virgin Mary to be the worthy mother of your son. You let her share beforehand in the salvation Christ would bring by his death, and kept her sinless from the first moment of her conception. Trace in our actions the lines of her love, in our hearts her readiness of faith. Help us by her prayers to live in your presence without sin. Amen
Saint John Baptist de La Salle – Pray for us!
Live Jesus in our Hearts – Forever
We are celebrating Mass during today’s WIN session, which means an adjusted class schedule:
- Period 5: 9:00-10:00
- Period 6/WIN: 10:10-11:20
- BREAK: 11:20-11:50
- Period 7: 11:50-12:50
- Period 8: 1:00-2:00
In the news…
DeLaSalle is operating under full distance learning for the rest of the first semester. Here’s what you need to know to be a successful student during this time.
The DeLaSalle community will gather virtually today to celebrate Mass for the feast of the Immaculate Conception. Mass will occur during the first session of the WIN period. This feast celebrates that the Blessed Virgin Mary was conceived without original sin. The Mass also celebrates the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. A small group of students and staff joined school chaplain, Fr. Kevin Kenney ’78, to pre-record the Mass last week at St. Olaf Catholic Church, which is where Fr. Kevin is the pastor.
Juniors and parents – join us Wednesday at 7:00pm for a virtual information night to help with your college planning! We will cover what you need to know as an 11th grader, including testing, timeline for planning, how to choose colleges, types of colleges, and scholarships. You can find the Google Meet link on the Guidance page in Canvas. College advising staff will start admitting people to the Meet at 6:40pm and begin the session promptly at 7:00pm.
The deadline to register for three standardized exams offered by the DeLaSalle Guidance office has been temporarily extended to next week.
- DeLaSalle will offer the Iowa Test of Educational Development to ninth grade students on Wednesday, January 27, from 8:30am-12:30pm. Tenth graders may take the Pre-ACT on Wednesday, February 24, 2021, from 8:30am-12:00pm. Please register for these exams by Tuesday, December 8.
- DeLaSalle will offer a school-based ACT test to current students on Tuesday, March 2. This test DOES NOT appear on the ACT website list of national test dates. You must register and pay for the test through DeLaSalle. Registration for this test closes on Thursday, December 10. Please register here.
You may contact a college counselor for more information.
If you are a student who lost your job this year because of COVID-19, you can now apply for unemployment benefits, according to a court ruling this week. You can learn how to apply for the unemployment benefits here. Applications must be submitted by December 25.
Seniors can apply now for the Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship Program, which provides up to $30,000 over four years to students who show leadership potential, demonstrate a dedication to community service, and have a minimum ACT composite score of 21. The scholarship program also features:
- Hands -on mentoring by volunteer Scholar Advisory Committee members.
- Internship placement and permanent employment opportunities,
- Four-day mentoring, leadership, and practical life skills conference each spring in New York City.
- Community service requirement.
Applications are due by 4:00pm on February 1. You can find the application here.
You can still get a yearbook from last year. 2019-20 yearbooks are available in the Main Office for $60. See Ms. Goeddeke with questions.