Tuesday, October 27, 2020
From the Meditations of St. John Baptist de La Salle
If you love God, prayer will be the food of your soul and God will enter your heart with grace.
By living a holy life, be worthy of such grace and of possessing such happiness.
Saint John Baptist de La Salle – Pray for us!
Live Jesus in our Hearts – Forever
Today is the second day of the Gold Cohort.
- Period 5: 8:30-9:50
- Period 6/WIN: 10:00-11:20
- Period 7: 11:30-1:30
- Period 8: 1:40-3:00
YOGURT, MUFFIN, ORANGE JUICE, MILK
- 4:30pm: C volleyball vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle
- 5:30pm: JV volleyball vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle
- 7:00pm: Varsity volleyball vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle
In the news…
Each year DeLaSalle celebrates the rich diversity that exists within our community. This year’s Diversity Week theme is drawn from a Scripture passage “We are God’s masterpiece” (Ephesians 2:10). A keynote speaker and breakout celebration of culture sessions during the WIN period will help students and staff explore diversity.
- Cesar Castillejos will speak during an all-school assembly today from 10:00-10:35am. He is a motivational youth speaker that will share stories and insights about purpose, growth, and the beauty of our unique identities. Gold Cohort seniors will attend the assembly in the Main Gym. All other students will tune in to a livestream online.
- Then, during the second half of the WIN period today and during both parts of the WIN period on Friday, all students will have an opportunity to participate in a variety of breakout sessions, ranging from a follow up discussion with Cesar, to understanding the art, language, and customs of many cultures. Students may sign up for a session through their Student Support Time dashboard.
- On Wednesday, all are invited to morning prayer from 8:30-8:50 to pray in response to the injustices happening in our society. From 11:30-12:15, students and staff can bring lunch and meet some new people while playing fun online games. Islanders are also welcome to join the “All Life is Sacred” rosary from 12:30-1:00pm. You can find the Google Meet link on the Lasallan Ministry page in Canvas.
The Green team environmental club will be meeting Thursday for an outdoor urban hike and Fireside Cider S’more chat after school. Meet at 3:15 on Brothers Plaza by the fire pit. Dress warm, Rain or Snow! if you can, please RSVP to Ms. Beckman.
Wherever you are in the college prep process, enjoy the company of your fellow seniors and your college advisors while you work on your college applications in a lively Google meet – October Madness style. Share what you know with others or just join the community of other seniors as you plug away at this task. Join us tomorrow from 3:10-4:10pm via Google Meet.
College representative visits, like most things in this pandemic, have gone virtual. Students can sign up to meet with college representatives to learn more about a school you might be interested in. You can find a list of which colleges are visiting DeLaSalle in your Naviance account (9th graders will get their Naviance account later in the school year). After you’ve logged into Naviance, click on the “Colleges I’m Thinking About” and in the side bar, click on Visits. You can also find a schedule of college rep visits on the Guidance Twitter account (@beyonddls) College rep visits are held during the WIN time, during other class periods and also after school or in the early evening. For more about the visits, click here.
Learn how to drive from an Islander alum! The next driver’s ed class starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. Students will receive 30 hours of instruction in a class that meets virtually via Google Meet. Classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel training cost $399 and the program will accept the first 30 students who register with a $200 down payment. Click here for more information.
Join us as we recognize and lift up the dignity and sanctity of life with the following opportunities:
- Baby Item Drive: New baby items (diapers, wipes, bottles, etc.) can be dropped off in the pack and play located in Albers Atrium. Items will be donated to Abria Pregnancy Life Center
- Sock Drive: Each grade level will compete together to bring in the most socks to donate to St. Stephen’s Shelter and Sharing and Caring Hands. NEW socks (in their original packaging) can be dropped off in the bins located in the Albers Atrium.
DeLaSalle families may order a supply of healthy breakfast and lunches for the days when their student is not on campus because they are participating via distance learning.
- Students participating in hybrid learning may order a meal kit that contains three breakfasts and three lunches each. Families may use this form to order the meal kits. Orders must be placed by noon on the first day the student attends in-person instruction (Monday or Thursday) and picked up outside the kitchen at the end of the school day on the last day they attend (Tuesday or Friday).
- Students participating in full distance learning may also order a meal kit that contains five breakfasts and five lunches each. Orders should be placed by noon on Thursday for pickup at 3:00pm on Friday. Families may use this form to place the order.