Wednesday, April 22, 2020
An Earth Day Prayer from the Sisters of Mercy
Creator God, we thank you for all of creation. We ask your forgiveness where we have failed to be just stewards. And we now ask for your guidance in restoring the face of the earth. May we learn to live in harmony, safety and just sharing of resources among all so that we achieve the kingdom of God.
Peace be to this community. Peace be to this land. Peace be to all people. Amen.
Saint John Baptist de La Salle – Pray for us!
Live Jesus in our Hearts – Forever
*Students and families, please see the DeLaSalle Online School Schedule for more information.
In the news…
Students, your academic mentors want to meet with you virtually! Check your email for a message from your mentor with an invitation to schedule a meeting. The meetings will allow mentors to check in with students to see how they are doing personally and in their classes.
Join Lasallian Ministry for morning prayer, today from 8:30-8:45am in the Lasallian Ministry Google Meet. Mr. Rogers will be hosting the prayer service live from our very own chapel. All are welcome!!
Let’s shower our seniors with love and support!
We are inviting ALL students, faculty, and staff to celebrate the Class of 2020 by sharing positive messages, well wishes, and fun shout outs to individuals in the senior class. Please use our form to share words of affirmation and gratitude to individual students. Messages will be shared only with the intended recipient and will not be posted in any public manner. We invite you to post as many messages as you like, the more the better.
All submissions are due today – Wednesday, April 22nd.
Seniors – you are welcome to send messages to friends and classmates as well!
Your College Advisors are on hand every Tuesday to assist you with questions you have concerning college planning.
To drop into office hours, visit the Canvas Islanders Course, then click Guidance. On this page, click on the Google Meet link at the bottom of the page.
What would you do if you were on Student Council?
On Friday, May 8, Student Council will hold elections for the positions of President/Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Public Relations Officer. The President/Vice (or Co-) President ticket must be formed by two students who will be either a senior or a junior next fall and have served at least one term previously on Student Council. The Secretary, Treasurer, and Public Relations Officer positions may be filled by any junior or senior.
If you are interested in running for any of these positions, please download a nomination form. In order to appear on the ballot, you must return your nomination packet to Mr. Glanville and Ms. Brinson by Friday, May 1 via email. For any questions concerning the positions or the electoral process, please email Mr. Glanville.
In an effort to engage our community virtually, the Student Activities Ofice has created the Islander Cup competition – and we invite you to participate!
Look in the Islanders course in Canvas for a daily challenge that will be posted by 8:00am each weekday from April 6-May 1. Islanders have until 11:00pm to complete and submit the challenge. Challenges include Mindfulness Monday, Transformation Tuesday, Workout Wednesday, Thankful Thursday, and Fitness Friday. Students can earn points for completing the challenge and those who submit photos or videos may be featured on the school’s social media channels or in the yearbook. (Parents – not on Canvas yet? Click here for instructions on how to create an account.)
There is a lot of information concerning the SAT, ACT, and AP testing that is changing daily.
Changes to College Board SAT/SAT Subject Tests
- CollegeBoard has canceled the May 2, 2020 SAT and SAT Subject Test administration. Makeup exams for the March 14th administration (scheduled for March 28) have also been canceled.
- Students who already registered for May, whose March test centers were closed, or who do not receive March scores because of any irregularities will receive refunds. Please log in to your College Board account for the latest updates.
Changes to ACT Tests
- ACT has rescheduled its April 4th national test date to June 13th across the U.S. in response to concerns about the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). All students registered for the April 4th test date will receive an email from ACT informing them of the postponement and instructions for free rescheduling to June 13 or a future national test date.
- ACT TEST RESCHEDULING INFORMATION
Changes to College Board AP Exam Administration
- In light of school closures across the country, CollegeBoard has determined that traditional face-to-face exam administrations will not take place this year. Instead, students will take a 45-minute online free-response exam at home. The free response question format will only address content from the first 75% of the course sequence. CollegeBoard will provide two test date options for each AP exam.
- UPDATES FOR AP STUDENTS AFFECTED BY COVID-19
DeLaSalle Administration and your AP Teachers require all AP students to sit for their exams. We believe this revised exam format in response to the school closures will allow students to successfully prepare and take exams, and colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies in the past. We also want to ensure that every student has access to a device at home to help prepare for your exam and participate in the AP Testing. If you need technical support contact the DeLaSalle technology office at least two weeks before your scheduled test to give them enough time to help you troubleshoot. CollegeBoard can also assist with getting you a device or the internet connectivity you will need to take the tests CollegeBoard Tech Help.
To help students begin to prepare they are offering 45-minute online AP Review Sessions with experienced AP teachers. Students are encouraged to participate in the live sessions or access the recorded sessions after they occur. AP REVIEW SESSIONS
Tech support will be available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 612.676.7678. When leaving a voicemail, please remember to include your name, a number at which you can be reached, and a brief overview of your question. Additionally, the Islanders Course has a new button on its home page, and we will house tips and reminders that will help you during Online School.
Take some time to look at the Guidance Department‘s resources in Canvas. From your Canvas dashboard, click the Islanders course. Then, click Guidance. Within this area, you will find 5 buttons that will redirect you. *These resources will have ongoing changes and additions.
- Counselors – school counselor, and /or college advisor, as well as other support staff assignments.
- Naviance – the login page
- College Planning – tasks that will help your student with college planning by grade level
- COVID-19 Family Support Resources – specific to the stress and anxiety some may be experiencing during this time
- Online Learning – resources to help with the online school transition