Tuesday, February 4, 2020
God of all strength and consolation, you always hear those who cry out to you in their need. Though the world’s evils are many, never let your faithful people be overcome. Heal us with the bread of life and the cup of eternal salvation. Let your face shine upon us and we shall be saved. Grant this through Christ, our risen Lord. Amen. Prayer written by the University of Notre Dame
Saint John Baptist de La Salle – Pray for us!
Live Jesus in our Hearts – Forever!
ENTREE: CHEESE OMELET, BACON, FRUIT OR FRUIT JUICE, MILK
A LA CARTE: YOGURT, GRANOLA BARS, ASSORTED BEVERAGES
ENTREE: FISH N CHIPS, RADISH SLAW
A LA CARTE: CAESAR SALAD; HUMMUS WRAP; AUSTRALIAN FAIRY BREAD
- 4:00pm Basketball: Girls C Game vs. Richfield @ Richfield
- 4:00pm Basketball: Boys 9 Gold Game vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle High School
- 4:15pm Basketball: Boys C Game vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle High School Main Gym
- 5:00pm Hockey: Boys JV Game, Minnehaha/DeLaSalle vs. Hopkins @ Minnehaha Academy Ice Arena – South Campus
- 5:30pm Basketball: Girls JV Game vs. Richfield @ Richfield
- 5:30pm Basketball: Boys JV Game vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle HIgh School Main Gym
- 7:00pm Basketball: Girls Varsity Game vs. Richfield @ Richfield
- 7:00pm Basketball: Boys Varsity Game vs. Richfield @ DeLaSalle High School
- 7:00pm Hockey: Boys Varsity Game, Minnehaha/DeLaSalle vs. Hopkins @ Minnehaha Academy Ice Arena – South Campus
*For the most up-to-date information about athletic competitions, matches, or games, please refer to the DeLaSalle’s Activities website and calendar.
In the news…
DeLaSalle is excited to celebrate its Catholic identity during Catholic Schools Week/Winterfest February 3-8.
This year’s annual Catholic Schools Week theme is “Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.”
- Go Blue for Australia Charity Day · Wear blue to show solidarity with Australia. Throughout Winterfest week, Student Council will be collecting donations in English classes for the nonprofit Australian Wildlife Conservancy. The English class that brings in the most donations will be rewarded with a pizza party or breakfast provided by Student Council.
- Lunchtime Activity · Decorate snowflakes
- Tropic Like It’s Hot · Dress up in your favorite Islander apparel or rock your favorite beach-themed outfit!
- Catholic Schools Week Mass · The DeLaSalle school community will gather for a Mass as Islanders celebrate how Catholic schools are communities where students learn, serve, lead, and succeed. Father Bruno Nwachukwu, school chaplain, will celebrate the Mass.
- Catholic Schools Week / Winterfest Pepfest · The Spirit Stick is up for grabs as we celebrate our Catholic identity and celebrate Winterfest. Show your school spirit!
- Lasallian Ministry Movie Night · Join Lasallian Ministry for a screening of “The Hate U Give” in honor of Black History Month
Black History Month (February 1-29) is a federally recognized, nationwide celebration that calls on all Americans to reflect on the significant achievements and immense roles that African-Americans have played in shaping US history.
DeLaSalle will celebrate Black History Month with a variety of opportunities and visuals taking place throughout the school.
- Door Decorations and Posters · Posters will be posted through the halls and classroom doors in each department that will be decorated with the African American History makers who came before us, inspired us today, and will continue to forever be important assets to our countries history and culture
- Move Night · “The Hate U Give” will be shown at 3:15pm on Wednesday in D104. Popcorn provided. Bring your own water bottle or beverage
- Cities United – Black History Month Event · All students are invited to participate in the 5th annual Cities United Black History Month Event at North Hennepin Community College on Friday, February 7 from 8:30 am- 1:30pm. Sign up here.
- Friday Morning Fun · Friday mornings during Black History Month, students will showcase music and food in the atrium before school to celebrate African American history and culture.
- Friday BHM T-shirts · Students and staff who purchased a Black History Month t-shirt are also invited to wear their t-shirts (with uniform pants) each Friday as part of our celebration of Black History Month 2020.
All are welcome to join Lasallian Ministry for Mass with Father Bruno on Tuesday mornings at 8:00am in the school chapel. The chapel is located in Christian Brothers Hall through the Lasallian Ministry office.
Yearbook Club will meet in the Thies Lab today after school. If you would like to join, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so Ms. Bryson-Tucker can create a login for you prior to the meeting.
Come join the coding club! Play with robots and run through mazes, learn to create a mobile app, learn programming in Swift, Python or Java, or learn to make a website. See Mr Pearson in Room A213 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:00-4:30.
Do you want to learn to play chess? Do you want to get better at chess? Are you good at chess? Are you a chess champion? Do you enjoy playing chess? If your answer to any of these questions is “yes”, then please join us for Chess Club each Tuesday, 3:15-4:15 in Room A208. Drop in to play one game or more games. We would love to have you join us!
This week we are going to meet after school on WEDNESDAY, February 5 in Room A209. Bring your supplies or use Mrs. Westphal’s.
All are welcome!
Congratulations to the Quiz Bowl team of Andrew Amell, Sebastian Dominguez, Abby Hames and Joey Hanson who qualified for the Minnesota State Championship and the NAQT National Competition with a strong performance at Thursday night’s competition and throughout the regular season. Other strong performers Thursday night and through the season include Eleanor Sherman, Henry Fisher, and Nyah Massey. Also, special recognition to Greta Hornquist for her performance and participation over the past four seasons.
Great Job Islanders!
Students can register now for the next driver’s ed class, which will be taught in April. The class is offered by Driver’s Education Incorporated from April 6-9, 13-17, and 20. Classes are limited to the first 25 students who register with a $200 down payment. Click here to apply.