Friday, November 22, 2019
Feast of Saint Cecilia
Dear St Cecilia, heroic martyr who stayed faithful to Jesus your divine bridegroom, intercede for us for faith to raise above our persecutors and to see in them the image of our Lord.
We know that you were a musician and we are told that you heard angels sing. Inspire musicians to gladden the hearts of people by filling the air with God’s gift of music and reminding them of the Divine Musician who created all beauty. Amen.
Saint John Baptist de La Salle…pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts…forever!
ENTREE: BREAKFAST PIZZA AND FRUIT OR FRUIT JUICE, MILK
A LA CARTE: YOGURT, GRANOLA BARS, ASSORTED BEVERAGES
ENTREE: WILD RICE SOUP, CORN BREAD, SIDE SALAD
A LA CARTE: FARMER’S MARKET SALAD; TURKEY ON KAISER
In the news…
November is Native American Heritage Month, or as it is commonly referred to, American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month.
The month is a time to celebrate rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories and to acknowledge the important contributions of Native people and to learn more about the unique challenges Native people have faced both historically and in the present, and the ways in which tribal citizens have worked to conquer these challenges.
Lasallian Ministry invites you to celebrate Native American Heritage month with the following:
- Posters: Check out posters posted around school highlighting Tribes of Native America and famous Native Americans
- Check out these great events happening around town.
Come see one of the best theatre programs in the state when DeLaSalle Theatre opens its fall play “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.” Performances are at 7:30pm on November 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23. Your student ID gets you into the show for free! Learn more here.
All are welcome to join Lasallian Ministry for Mass with Father Bruno on Tuesday mornings at 8:00AM in the school chapel. The chapel is located in Christian Brothers Hall through the Lasallian Ministry office.
The 2020 Yearbook senior ad deadline has been extended until December 1. Please remind families to either order their ads (if they wish) through www.balfour.com or a paper copy is available in the Tech Office.
To help students put the puzzle pieces together and approach the ACT with confidence, DeLaSalle is offering two optional prep classes for juniors. The classes will give students the opportunity to take 5 full ACTs and review their errors. During class, students will review topics tested on the exam and learn testing skills to improve their pacing and scores.
If you have any questions, please see Ms. McAdams
Islanders, we’ve changed our spring musical to Catch Me If You Can and since we’ve changed musicals, we’re giving students who might have missed out a chance to audition on our call back day, Monday, November 25 from 3pm – 7pm.
The shows we’re casting: our winter one-act Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and spring musical to Catch Me If You Can.
- Spring Musical: Catch Me If You Can · Directed by Farrah Buffington · March 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28
- Based on the unbelievable true story of one of the most famous con artists in history, Frank Abagnale Jr., Catch Me If You Can is a rousing musical set in the 1960’s. A fast, rollicking musical by the creative team behind Hairspray, Catch Me If You Can tells the tale of an ingenious, yet lonely, boy looking for his place in the world.
- Competition One-Act: Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar · Directed by James Buffington · January 24 & 25th
- Set in Rome in 44 BC, the play depicts the moral dilemma of Brutus as he joins a conspiracy led by Cassius to stop Julius Caesar to prevent him from becoming dictator of Rome.
- This show will be DeLaSalle’s entry into the Minnesota State High School League Section 6AA State One-Act Play Festival
- One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by Farrah Buffington · January 24 & 25th
- Student-Directed One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by Jamie Wheeler · January 24 & 25th
- Auditions will be held on Monday, November 25. 3:30pm – 7pm.
- Check-in for auditions are D117 and or the stage door. Tech sign-ups will also be available.
- Dance (for musical audition)– Jazz Combo will be taught at the audition
- Singing (for musical audition – 16 Bars of two songs from this list (You may be asked to only sing one)
- Reading audition (for musical and/or play audition)– Sides will be provided at the audition
- 42nd Street Rehearsals will be 5:00-7:30pm Monday – Friday, with Saturday 2pm – 6pm through mid-February.
- One-Act Comp will be 4pm – 6pm 12/2 – 1/30
- One-Act Rehearsal will be 3pm – 5:30pm 12/2 – 1/30
- There maybe rehearsals for one-acts over Christmas Break
If you have questions, email Mr. Buffington.
Do you enjoy the outdoors? Come see what the green team is doing to become Urban Environmentalists in the winter months.
Join us for a trip to the Bell Museum on December 3 to see Wicked Plants, create natural ice globes, take a winter hike, tour the St Anthony Falls Laboratory on January 21, and explore Urban environmental areas around DeLaSalle.
We meet every Tuesday at 3:15 in B110 (Art Room)
Are you a chess player? Do you want to learn how to play chess? Students of all abilities are welcome to come to Chess Club every Tuesday from 3:00-4:15 in Room A208.
Current sophomores and juniors can apply now to study in Italy this summer through Global Advantage Program.
DeLaSalle will host a class in Italy from June 7-19 that will explore “Studio Art and European History.” The trip costs $3,500 and students can apply here. With your application, remember to get three letters of recommendation. If you have any questions please see Ms. Megan or Mr. Casey. If you would like a brochure, stop by B110.
Applications are due by Monday, December 2.
When: Feb. 21-23, 2020
Who: 10th, 11th and 12th grade students
More info: The Darst Center Urban Immersion is a workshop retreat that serves as a tool to explore issues of justice and the reality of oppression. Through partnerships with local agencies, retreat participants get to know people served by these agencies, challenge stereotypes, confront fears, and break down barriers. Daily communal prayer, meal preparation, recreational and educational sessions are designed to reflect on the work and observations conducted at agencies.
Examples of social agencies that will be used as the sites for the field experiences include: The Chicago Food Depository, Su Casa, The Port, San Miguel Schools, Chicago Youth Centers, St. Martin DePorres.
Participants will be awarded 18 Christian Service hours upon completion of the retreat.
The cost of the retreat is $260. A $60 non-refundable deposit is due December 10 and the final $200 payment will be due by January 15, 2019. See Ms. Stecklein if the cost is prohibitive.
Students are invited to consider participating in a weeklong service immersion trip to the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. The trip is July 19-24 and costs $450. Students will connect with and better understand the Lakota culture through projects such as home repair, painting, and gardening, hosting a daily children’s program, and partnering with local organizations already serving the Lakota. Students will earn 40 Christian Service hours. You can learn more about the trip here.
DeLaSalle students who wish to participate in a winter sport must register for the sport before it holds its first practice. Students received an email with a registration link and season start dates. As a reminder, DeLaSalle students must have a current physical (current within the last three years) and Minnesota State High School League eligibility statement on file with the Activities Office before they can participate in a sport.
Fireside Catholic Publishing is hosting an essay contest for seniors who “put their faith into action” daily.
Only 1 student per school may enter this national contest for $1,000. Theology Faculty will choose one essay to represent DeLaSalle from the essays submitted. If you are interested please submit a 2-page maximum essay with no mention of your school or location on the following topic: “How is your Religious Education Influencing your Life?”
Submissions are due to Brother Dylan in Room B214 no later than November 25.