Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Dear God, Let me be the change I want to see
To do with strength and wisdom
All that needs to be done..
And become the hope that I can be.
Set me free from my fears and hesitations
Grant me courage and humility
Fill me with spirit to face the challenge
And start the change I long to see.
Today I start the change I want to see.
Even if I’m not the light
I can be the spark
In faith, service, and communion.
Let us start the change we want to see.
The change that begins in me. Amen
Saint John Baptist de La Salle…pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts…forever!
ENTREE: ENGLISH MUFFIN EGG SANDWICH, FRUIT OR FRUIT JUICE, MILK
A LA CARTE: YOGURT, GRANOLA BARS, ASSORTED BEVERAGES
NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE MEAL | THREE SISTERS STEW; WILD RICE PILAF WITH MUSHROOMS AND DRIED CRANBERRIES; CORN CAKES WITH WOJAPI SAUCE
In the news…
November is Native American Heritage Month, or as it is commonly referred to, American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month.
The month is a time to celebrate rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories and to acknowledge the important contributions of Native people and to learn more about the unique challenges Native people have faced both historically and in the present, and the ways in which tribal citizens have worked to conquer these challenges.
Lasallian Ministry invites you to celebrate Native American Heritage month with the following:
- Lunch: Wednesday, November 20, the DeLaSalle Cafe has created a menu that incorporates traditional ingredients and recipes
- Movie Night: Wednesday, November 20, “Dakota 38”; 3:15pm in D117
- LEAP: Friday, November 22, Nicollet Island in Native American History
- Posters: Check out posters posted around school highlighting Tribes of Native America and famous Native Americans
- Check out these great events happening around town.
Lasallian Ministry is sponsoring an Out of Uniform Day today.
Students may purchase a wristband for the privilege to dress out of uniform. Wristbands will be sold for $3 before school. Students must follow the out of uniform guidelines in the Student-Parent Handbook.
DeLaSalle shares a third of all out of uniform wristband sales with Mwangaaza College, a postsecondary Lasallian trade school in Kenya. More information on the school can be found on the bulletin board, 2nd floor B-Building, between rooms B210 and B211.
To help students put the puzzle pieces together and approach the ACT with confidence, DeLaSalle is offering two optional prep classes for juniors. The classes will give students the opportunity to take 5 full ACTs and review their errors. During class, students will review topics tested on the exam and learn testing skills to improve their pacing and scores.
If you have any questions, please see Ms. McAdams
DeLaSalle Theatre is pleased to announce auditions and tech crew sign-ups for its upcoming winter one-acts and spring musical. We encourage any interested students to audition, no preparation or previous experience is necessary. If you have questions, email Mr. Buffington.
- Spring Musical: 42nd Street · Directed by Farrah Buffington · March 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28
- A classic and beloved tale, 42nd Street tells the story of Peggy Sawyer, a talented young performer with stars in her eyes who gets her big break on Broadway. Peggy’s rise from showgirl to star is the stuff of show business dreams. This musical is full of crowd-pleasing tap dances, popular musical theatre standards, and show-stopping ensemble production numbers.
- Competition One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by James Buffington·January 24 & 25th
- This show will be DeLaSalle’s entry into the Minnesota State High School League Section 6AA State One-Act Play Festival
- One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by Farrah Buffington · January 24 & 25th
- Student-Directed One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by Jamie Wheeler · January 24 & 25th
- Auditions will be held on Monday, November 18, Tuesday, November 19 and Wednesday, November 20, 3:30pm – 6pm.
- Check-ins for these days will be D117 and or the stage door. Tech sign-ups will also be available these days.
- Call Backs will be Monday, November 25, 4:00pm- 7:00pm
- 42nd Street Rehearsals will be 5:00-7:30pm Monday – Friday, with Saturday 2pm – 6pm through mid-February.
- One-Act Comp will be 4pm – 6pm 12/2 – 1/30
- One-Act Rehearsal will be 3pm – 5:30pm 12/2 – 1/30
- There maybe rehearsals for one-acts over Christmas Break
Musical Audition Information
- Dance audition day – Tap Combo/Jazz Combo will be taught at the audition
- Singing audition day – 16 Bars of two songs from this list (You may be asked to only sing one)
- Reading audition – Sides will be provided Audition
Come see one of the best theatre programs in the state when DeLaSalle Theatre opens its fall play “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.” Performances are at 7:30pm on November 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, 23. Your student ID gets you into the show for free! Learn more here.
Current sophomores and juniors can apply now to study in Italy this summer through Global Advantage Program.
DeLaSalle will host a class in Italy from June 7-19 that will explore “Studio Art and European History.” The trip costs $3,500 and students can apply here. With your application, remember to get three letters of recommendation. If you have any questions please see Ms. Megan or Mr. Casey. If you would like a brochure, stop by B110.
Applications are due by Monday, November 25.
Join LEAP (Lasallians for Equity and Peace) this Friday, Nov. 22nd for a presentation, brief history and discussion of the significance of Nicollet Island in Native American history. LEAP meets in room D104 during all lunches. Hope to see you there!
DeLaSalle students who wish to participate in a winter sport must register for the sport before it holds its first practice. Students received an email with a registration link and season start dates. As a reminder, DeLaSalle students must have a current physical (current within the last three years) and Minnesota State High School League eligibility statement on file with the Activities Office before they can participate in a sport.
Fireside Catholic Publishing is hosting an essay contest for seniors who “put their faith into action” daily.
Only 1 student per school may enter this national contest for $1,000. Theology Faculty will choose one essay to represent DeLaSalle from the essays submitted. If you are interested please submit a 2-page maximum essay with no mention of your school or location on the following topic: “How is your Religious Education Influencing your Life?”
Submissions are due to Brother Dylan in Room B214 no later than November 25.