Thursday, November 14, 2019
Gracious and holy Father,
grant us the intellect to understand you,
reason to discern you, diligence to seek you,
wisdom to find you, a spirit to know you,
a heart to meditate upon you.
May our ears hear you, may our eyes behold you,
and may our tongues proclaim you.
Give us grace that our way of life may be pleasing to you,
that we may have the patience to wait for you
and the perseverance to look for you.
Grant us a perfect end–your holy presence,
a blessed resurrection and life everlasting.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Saint John Baptist de La Salle…pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts…forever!
ENTREE: SCRAMBLED EGGS, HASH BROWN, FRUIT OR FRUIT JUICE, MILK
A LA CARTE: YOGURT, GRANOLA BARS, ASSORTED BEVERAGES
ENTREE: BEEF CHICKEN OR BEAN BURRITO, SPANISH RICE, SUMMER SQUASH
A LA CARTE: TURKEY RANCH WRAP; CAESAR SALAD
In the news…
November is Native American Heritage Month, or as it is commonly referred to, American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month.
The month is a time to celebrate rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories and to acknowledge the important contributions of Native people and to learn more about the unique challenges Native people have faced both historically and in the present, and the ways in which tribal citizens have worked to conquer these challenges.
Lasallian Ministry invites you to celebrate Native American Heritage month with the following:
- LEAP Video and Discussion: Friday, November 15 in D104 during all lunches; we will be viewing a TED talk about the history of the Lakota people at Pine Ridge and discussing ways that we can better understand and support the Lakota tribe.
- Movie Night: Wednesday, November 20, “Dakota 38”; 3:15pm in D117
- Posters: Check out posters posted around school highlighting Tribes of Native America and famous Native Americans
- Check out these great events happening around town.
We will be meeting each day this week at 3:10pm to practice for Monday’s meet at Minnehaha. New participants welcome, especially 9th and 10th graders, where we are short of competitors.
Are you interested in doing readings during school Prayer Services and Masses? We need your help!
Lasallian Ministry will host a short, 15-minute training session for all students interested in reading during lunches on Thursday, November 14. Please come straight to the Lasallian Ministry office at the beginning of lunch. You will have time to get your lunch and eat in the Florance Center after the training.
Come see one of the best theatre programs in the state when DeLaSalle Theatre opens its fall play “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.” Performances are at 7:30pm each night this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and again on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the following week. Your student ID gets you into the show for free! Learn more here.
DeLaSalle Theatre is pleased to announce auditions and tech crew sign-ups for its upcoming winter one-acts and spring musical. We encourage any interested students to audition, no preparation or previous experience is necessary. We’ll have Winter Information Meeting that will be held after school Thursday, November 14 in D117. Stop by if you’re interested in participating this winter to learn about the one-act plays and the musical. Get all your questions about auditions, tech sign-ups, pit band and everything else answered.
If you have questions, email Mr. Buffington.
- Spring Musical: 42nd Street · Directed by Farrah Buffington · March 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28
- A classic and beloved tale, 42nd Street tells the story of Peggy Sawyer, a talented young performer with stars in her eyes who gets her big break on Broadway. Peggy’s rise from showgirl to star is the stuff of show business dreams. This musical is full of crowd-pleasing tap dances, popular musical theatre standards, and show-stopping ensemble production numbers.
- Competition One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by James Buffington·January 24 & 25th
- This show will be DeLaSalle’s entry into the Minnesota State High School League Section 6AA State One-Act Play Festival
- One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by Farrah Buffington · January 24 & 25th
- Student-Directed One-Act: (TBD) · Directed by Jamie Wheeler · January 24 & 25th
- Auditions will be held on Monday, November 18, Tuesday, November 19 and Wednesday, November 20, 3:30pm – 6pm.
- Check-ins for these days will be D117 and or the stage door. Tech sign-ups will also be available these days.
- Call Backs will be Monday, November 25, 4pm- 7pm
- 42nd Street Rehearsals will be 5-7:30 Monday – Friday, with Saturday 2pm – 6pm through mid-February.
- One-Act Comp will be 4pm – 6pm 12/2 – 1/30
- One-Act Rehearsal will be 3pm – 5:30pm 12/2 – 1/30
- There maybe rehearsals for one-acts over Christmas Break
Musical Audition Information
- Dance audition day – Tap Combo/Jazz Combo will be taught at the audition
- Singing audition day – 16 Bars of two songs from this list (You may be asked to only sing one)
- Reading audition – Sides will be provided Audition
Join LEAP, Friday, November 15 for a video, photo slide show, and group discussion about the history of the Lakota people at Pine Ridge. We’ll meet in D104 during all lunches. All are welcome!
There will be a Softball interest and information meeting on Friday, November 15 during the last 15-minutes of all lunch periods. If you are interested in playing softball in the spring, please come to B202 (Ms.Groenke Classroom) for one of the short informational meetings. If you have any interest in playing this spring, please come sign up so you can receive emails about training, service, fundraising and bonding opportunities over the winter. See you on Friday!
There will be a wrestling information meeting after school on Friday, November 15th at 3:15pm in the Schulze Learning Lab (D104). Please attend if you are interested in joining our wrestling team this season!
This year, Student Council will be selling year-long Out-of-Uniform day wristbands. These wristbands will be sold for $12. (Regular Out-of-Uniform passes will still be able to be purchased in advance for $2 and $3 the day of.) These wristbands will help provide Student Council with the funds necessary to plan student events such as school dances and Winterfest Week.
These wristbands will also include “perks” throughout the year, such as free hot chocolate before school and reduced tickets to the dance.
You can purchase a wristband during lunch through Tuesday, November 19.
Lasallian Ministry is sponsoring an Out of Uniform Day, Wednesday, November 20.
Students may purchase a wristband for the privilege to dress out of uniform. Wristbands will be sold for $2 during lunches on Tuesday, November 19 and for $3 before school on November 20. Students must follow the out of uniform guidelines in the Student-Parent Handbook.
DeLaSalle shares a third of all out of uniform wristband sales with Mwangaaza College, a postsecondary Lasallian trade school in Kenya. More information on the school can be found on the bulletin board, 2nd floor B-Building, between rooms B210 and B211.
When: Feb. 21-23, 2020
Who: 10th, 11th and 12th grade students
More info: The Darst Center Urban Immersion is a workshop retreat that serves as a tool to explore issues of justice and the reality of oppression. Through partnerships with local agencies, retreat participants get to know people served by these agencies, challenge stereotypes, confront fears, and break down barriers. Daily communal prayer, meal preparation, recreational and educational sessions are designed to reflect on the work and observations conducted at agencies.
Examples of social agencies that will be used as the sites for the field experiences include: The Chicago Food Depository, Su Casa, The Port, San Miguel Schools, Chicago Youth Centers, St. Martin DePorres.
Participants will be awarded 18 Christian Service hours upon completion of the retreat.
The cost of the retreat is $260. A $60 non-refundable deposit is due Dec. 10th and the final $200 payment will be due by January 15, 2019. See Ms. Stecklein if the cost is prohibitive.
DeLaSalle students who wish to participate in a winter sport must register for the sport before it holds its first practice. Students received an email with a registration link and season start dates. As a reminder, DeLaSalle students must have a current physical (current within the last three years) and Minnesota State High School League eligibility statement on file with the Activities Office before they can participate in a sport. DeLaSalle offers winter sports in boys’ and girls’ basketball, JV competition cheer, boys’ and girls’ hockey, sideline cheer, boys’ swimming, and wrestling. Our hockey, wrestling, and swimming teams are co-op programs with other schools.