Off to a Great Start!
DeLaSalle teachers, staff, coaches and moderators are excited to welcome students back-to-school for the 2019-20 school year. This begins our 120th year on Nicollet Island and we begin the year as the third largest Catholic high school in Minnesota, drawing students from more than 120 middle schools. We thank you for your commitment to partner with us at DeLaSalle this year.
We renew our pledge to be even better in all that we do, certainly as teachers and learners, but even more importantly, as people called to serve each other and make God present in our world. That starts with a commitment to the 2019-20 school prayer theme as chosen by president, Barry Lieske: “I have plans of hope and prosperity for you.” We are reminded of God’s plan for each of us and this theme guides us in all we do – from the first day of practices to staff orientation sessions right through to the last day of school. It will be woven into student programs throughout the year.
This brief checklist can help all students and families ensure that they are prepared for the new school year.
- Complete required back-to-school forms
- Participate in a required school orientation and collect school-issued iPad
- Order uniform apparel
- Purchase school supplies
- Have a current physical on file with Student Activities
Families can find more detailed back-to-school information below (click on the topic to read more). If you cannot find the information you are looking for here, please call the Main Office at 612.676.7600 for direct assistance.
- First Day of Fall Sports Practices
Monday, August 12
More details to be shared here in the coming weeks about when and where teams will hold preseason meetings and practices.
- Monday, August 12, 12:00-8:00pm
- Wednesday, August 14, 10:00am-7:00pm
- Wednesday. August 21, 11:00am-8:00pm
- Thursday, August 22, 7:00-9);00am and 3:00-9:00pm
- Monday, August 26, 7:00-9:00am and 3:00-6:00pm
- Tuesday, August 27, 7:00-9:00am and 3:00-6:00pm
As always, you may schedule an appointment with the School Store. Please contact Douge Schildgen at 612.859.5652.
Please complete the forms found in the email – one set for each student enrolled at DeLaSalle. Please complete the process as soon as possible and no later than Friday, August 2. The following forms must be completed:
- Home Language Form – required for reports to the Minnesota State Department of Education
- Household Income Form – required for each student to be eligible to receive federal and state funding
- Annual Health Information Form – required for the school nurse’s records
- Minnesota State High School League Eligibility Form – required annually for each student to participate in school activities during the year.
- Parent-Student Handbook Acknowledgement
The following forms must be completed by all new students:
- Tablet Device Insurance Plan – this form is required in order for the student to be issued an iPad
- Heritage and Ethnicity Form – provides information to assist the Guidance Counseling Office in identifying potential scholarship candidates.
If you experience any problems with completing the forms, please contact email@example.com. Please note: If you have more than one child at DeLaSalle, you will receive an individual email for each one. Simply click the link in each message and sign up each of your children individually.
Orientation sessions for returning students are scheduled:
- Wednesday, August 14 – 10:30am-6:30pm
- Wednesday, August 21, 12:00-7:00pm
During the school orientation, families will receive the student’s iPad. Families may also deposit lunch money into their child’s account and meet with other important school personnel.
Please note: New this year, DeLaSalle will distribute iPads to all ninth grade and transfer students as part of the New Student Orientation on Thursday, August 22. Families of returning students with a younger sibling may not pick up the younger sibling’s iPad any earlier than the New Student Orientation.
Beginning in 2019-20, all families will be enrolled in the $50 annual protection plan, which covers devices for the school year against accidental physical damage. As we communicated in the “Looking Ahead at DeLaSalle” email blasts in late March and early April, the nonrefundable $50 insurance premium will be collected through TADS, which is the same account used for tuition payments. The charge will be added to the August invoice. For those who don’t have a tuition payment due in August, DeLaSalle will add an August invoice to your TADS account.
On August 22, students should check in between 8:00-8:20am. The 9th grade program runs all day, ending at 3:00pm. The transfer students will be dismissed at 12:00 noon. All new students meet new classmates, will receive a copy of their class schedule, and will receive and set-up their school-issued iPad.
- Transfer students meet separately with other transfers (and some returning De students); we will have a continental breakfast meeting to start the transfers program at 8:30am, but we will not serve lunch to the transfers. Again, the transfers are dismissed at 12:00 noon.
- Ninth graders will stay through lunch (provided free on Thursday) and have additional orientation activities in the afternoon designed to help them meet other new ninth grade students. Ninth graders are dismissed at 3:00pm.
Please note these important reminders:
- School bus service is not available on this day. Plan to arrive between 8:00-8:20am. The programs will begin promptly at 8:30am.
- All students are to be in SCHOOL UNIFORM
Pre-registration for New Family Orientation is not required – and, unlike returning families, new families will not receive a separate e-mail with a registration link for August 22.
- For those students residing in Minneapolis who requested busing as part of 2019-20 registration, Minneapolis & Suburban/Monarch Bus Company will begin mailing postcards in early August with the route and stop information. If you have not received a postcard, please contact Brooks Shelstad and we will work to confirm arrangements as quickly as we can.
- For those students residing in St. Paul and suburbs who have requested transportation through DeLaSalle, route information will be emailed directly to students / families the weekend of August 5.
Questions? Please contact Brooks Shelstad at 612.676.7614.
Students must apply for the lunch benefits each year, even if they qualified for the program in the previous school year.
- Pens and pencils
- Backpack (for home to school use)
- DeLaSalle cinch bag (for use during the day)
School Supply Reminders
Students in Algebra 1 and Geometry should have a scientific calculator. Students in Algebra 2, Precalculus, Statistics, and all Calculus classes should have a graphing calculator. Note: Casio and TI-Inspire graphing calculators are not recommended.
Each teacher and course may have specific requests for school supplies. Students will hear about this on the first day of classes.
The School Store will again sell draw-string bookbags this year that are the only approved bag for carrying items during the school day. Backpacks are to be used only to carry items from home to school and back.
- The student is enrolled at DeLaSalle (student must show school ID as proof)
- Valid driver’s license
- Registrant must identify the make, model and license plate information for PRIMARY vehicle that will be driven to De
- Fully agree to terms and conditions
- Form of payment (cash / check)
Once the number of available permits are sold out, other students may opt to keep his or her information on a waiting list.
Returning students will receive their first semester course schedules via their student Islander Apps email account (new students received their schedules at New Student Orientation). The Student-Parent Handbook explains how DeLaSalle handles requests to change courses. From the Handbook, families are reminded that a $25 fee will be charged for any course change requests initiated by the student or family; a student must follow their current schedule until they receive a revised schedule; and schedule changes will not be made to accommodate requests for specific teachers or lunch hour.
All students should also check their student Islander Apps email for a message with their locker assignment and combination.