Congratulations to the DeLaSalle Theatre program, whose production of “Newsies” earned 26 awards from the Hennepin Theatre Trust Spotlight Education Program. Running parallel to the draw of playoff basketball and in spite of some tough weather, “Newsies” still drew large audiences over three weekends in March. The show was one of six different productions (including two musicals) staged by the DeLaSalle Theatre program in 2018-19.
The success of the show sustains a multi-year run of critical acclaim for one of the bigger and best theatre programs in the state. In the past four years alone, the six musicals produced by DeLaSalle Theatre have earned 119 awards from the Spotlight program, but the 26 earned by the cast and crew of “Newsies” in 2019 is the highest total earned by cast and crew of any De production.
It’s no surprise to the hundreds who attended one or more performances of “Newsies” that the collective cast and crew earned eleven Spotlight Awards for:
- Outstanding Honors in Overall Production,
- Outstanding Honors in Ensemble Performance,
- Outstanding Honors in Vocal Performance by an Ensemble,
- Outstanding Honors for the Overall Technical Team,
- Outstanding Honors for the Technical Crew,
- Outstanding Honors for the Costume Crew, as well as
- Honorable Mention awards in Overall Performance, Achievement in Musical Theatre, Movement/Dance Performance by an Ensemble, Acting Performance by an Ensemble, and Light and Sound Board Operators
Several members of the cast and crew really shone. The Theatre Trust also recognized 15 De thespians with individual awards, including six “Outstanding” awards for members of the cast and crew and nine “Honorable Mentions”:
- Gabe Goeddeke `20, Outstanding Performance in a Leading Role as Jack Kelly,
- Veronica Kostka `21, Outstanding Technical Leadership as Stage Manager,
- Emma Sellner `22, Outstanding Technical Leadership as Costumer,
- Isaac Worple `19, Outstanding Technical Leadership as Tech Manager,
- Maya Adelgren `20, Outstanding Technical Leadership as Front of House Manager, and
- Stella Dennehy `20, Outstanding Technical Leadership as SASM/Sound Board Manager.
- Lily Burrows `22, Honorable Mention Performance in a Leading Role as Katherine Plummer,
- Nick Ericksen `20, Honorable Mention Performance in a Leading Role as Davey Jacobs,
- Parker Adams `20, Honorable Mention Performance in a Supporting Role as Medda Larkin,
- Calvin Mattson `20, Honorable Mention Performance in a Supporting Role as Joseph Pulitzer,
- Izzy Prater `19, Honorable Mention Performance in a Supporting Role as Romeo,
- Kieran Rowe `21, Honorable Mention Performance in a Supporting Role as Race,
- Ali Biermaier `19, Evaluator Shout Out for Performance,
- Sasha Kenigsberg `19, Honorable Mention Technical Leadership as Dance Captain
- Jamie Wheeler `20, Honorable Mention Technical Leadership as Dance Captain
The Spotlight program includes educational and evaluation resources for high schools across the state. As part of the Spotlight program, DeLaSalle is one of 97 high schools to receive critical evaluation of their school musicals each year by a professional theatre evaluator.
As part of the Spotlight program and showcase, a select group of musical theater students are invited to compete in the Spotlight “Triple Threat” Awards. These awards recognize excellence on the stage and in school. Congratulations to Alli Thornton `19, Gabe Goeddeke `20, Nick Ericksen `20 and have all advanced to the “live audition” for the Triple Threat Awards, recognizing the best of the best among Minnesota high school musical theater students.
If selected to advance in the finals, Ali, Gabe, and/or Nick would perform and compete in the annual Hennepin Theater Trust Spotlight Showcase. This year’s showcase will on June 10 and 11 at 7:00pm at the State Theater in downtown Minneapolis. In addition to the individual Triple Threat nominees in recent years, the DeLaSalle Theatre program has regularly been invited to perform a number as part of the Showcase production. DeLaSalle will have a presence at the State Theater once again as, this year, members of the “Newsies” cast have been invited to perform one of the numbers from their show.