As the seasons start to change (more below on winter sports starting this month), we take time to salute the accomplishments of all the DeLaSalle teams — and several individual athletes —in the fall sports season:
The girls’ soccer team captured the Tri-Metro Conference championship with an undefeated 8-0 record in league play, including road victories at two top-ten ranked conference foes, Visitation and Holy Angels. The team had dropped their first four games of the year (three against top ten ranked teams) when several starters were out with injuries or playing out of their normal positions because of those injuries. Once everyone regained their health, the Islanders went 10-2-2 over the final 14 games of the year, including the undefeated run in conference play.
- All-State First Team: Audrey Vidmar `19
- All-State Second Team: Maggie Haller `20
- All Conference First Team: Maddie Duca `19, Kate Graham `19, Audrey Vidmar `19, Maggie Haller `20, Abby Hames `20, Isabella Benjamin `21
- Honorable Mention All-Conference: Tatziana McKnight `19, Lou Lou Lambert `21
- Section 5A Assistant Coach of the Year: Kai Brinson `09
The boys’ soccer team finished the season with a 13-3-1 record, a second-place finish in the Tri-Metro Conference with a 6-1 record, and the #9 ranking in the state at the end of the regular season. The top four seeds in Section 5A are all ranked among the top ten in the state.
- All-State First Team: Eric Contreras `20
- All Conference First Team: Chris Kussow `19, Jake Sullivan`19, Eric Contreras `20, Will Sylvain `21
- Honorable Mention All-Conference: Chase Taylor `20, Carlos Robles `21
- Section 5A Head Coach of the Year: Adam Pribyl `06
Having advanced to the section semi-finals, the Islanders finished their season with a record of 19-9, including a Tri-Metro Conference record of 6-3, an 11-1 record within the section, and as champions of the Mound-Westonka Tournament. Section finalists in 2015 and 2016, the 2018 team certainly continued the run of recent success in the program:
- All Conference First Team: Jenna Hoban `19, Kayla Nye `19
- Honorable Mention All-Conference: Faith Stachowski `20, Grace Travis `22
The boys’ cross country team acquitted itself quite well throughout the fall, finishing second in the Tri-Metro Conference Championships among many strong meet performances. The Islander girls were led by ninth grader Mae Kennedy , as well as several other first-year runners.
- All Conference First Team: Jack Holthusen `19, Alex Wenner `19, Henry Fisher `20, William Skelly `22
- Honorable Mention All-Conference: Isaac Blaine-Sauer `19, Nathan Koplin `20
As of this writing, the Girls’ Swimming co-op program was preparing for their section meet on November 8-10. The program, home based at St. Anthony Village High School, which has the pool, also includes swimmers from St. Agnes. St. Anthony Village, and St. Croix Lutheran, in addition to DeLaSalle. Ten Islanders are part of a 54-member team.
The football team finished their season with a 4-6 record, while competing in one of the state’s toughest districts for Class AAAA football (This is the fourth year that the MSHSL has organized football into district play rather by conference affiliation.)
- All District First Team: Julian Wright `19, Gabe Amore `20, Jalen Travis `20
- Honorable Mention All District: Kresean Greer `19, Henry Deinema `20, Andrey Garbisch `20, James Pfarr `20
- District Offensive Lineman of the Year: Jalen Travis `20
- District Special Teams Player of the Year: Julian Wright `19
The Islanders finished the regular season with a 6-6 record, losing their first round section match in Section 6AA. With 52 girls out for tennis, it’s believed to be the largest roster in program history.
- All Conference First Team: Sanna Evans `19
- Honorable Mention All-Conference: Indigo Rudduck `19, Ali Thornton `19
Winter Sports 2018
Students are invited to participate in a winter sport. First day of practice information is listed below. Please note that an activity bus will transport students to and from practices if off campus fields/courts are utilized (with the exception of swimming, swimmers go directly to St. Anthony). Please allow time for the bus to return to De after practices are complete. Buses usually arrive a half hour after the scheduled practice end time. Thank you!
- Tryouts are October 29-November 2, from 3:45-5:15pm, at Minnehaha Ice Arena.
- Scrimmage on Saturday, November 3, from 9:00-10:00am and 11:00-11:45am, at Roseville
- Head Coach: Daniel Berthiaume
- Captain’s practice: October 29-November 2, Nov. 5-9, 5:30-6:30pm, at Minnehaha Ice Arena
- Tryouts are November 12-16: 5:00-6:30pm (Monday and Thursday); 3:45-5:00pm and 5:15-6:15pm (Tuesday); 3:45-5:15pm (Wednesday and Friday).
- Practice: Saturday, November 17, times to be announced
- Head Coach: Josh Hoesktra
- Tryouts are November 12-16 in the Main Gym. Ninth grade tryouts are from 4:30-6:30pm. JV and varsity tryouts are from 6:00-8:00am and 3:15-4:30pm.
- Head Coach: Tanysha Scott
- Tryouts are November 19-21 in the Main Gym. Ninth grade tryouts are from 3:30-5:30pm. JV and varsity tryouts are from 6:00-8:00am. There is no practice on Thanksgiving.
- Head coach: Travis Bledsoe
- Practices are November 19-23, from 4:30-6:30pm, in the Columbia Heights wrestling room.
- Head Coaches: Ernie McNeal and Alex Wong
Boys’ Swimming and Diving
- Tryouts and practice are November 26-30, from 4:00-6:00pm, at St. Anthony Village High School pool.